About Sugarman & Company LLP Financial Consulting Firms, Small Business Accountant, CPA, and Forensic Accounting Expert in San Jose, Santa Clara, Fresno, San Francisco, Sacramento, CA, and Surrounding Areas
Sugarman & Company LLP was founded in 1977 by managing partner, Randy Sugarman. Sugarman & Company LLP provides litigation support for both defense and plaintiff legal counsel, prepares insightful financial analyses, expert witness testimony on management, financial, and operating issues, and serves as financial consultants in workout and out of court and/or bankruptcy situations. Sugarman & Company LLP can also assume management responsibilities, implement cost controls, negotiate with creditors and other stakeholders, and supervise orderly liquidation of assets.
Sugarman & Company LLP has the experience as a certified public accountant, fraud examiner, and a certified insolvency and reorganization advisor to large corporations nationwide. With over 50 years of experience in a wide range of areas and industries, including: advertising, construction, real estate, direct selling, distribution, financial institutions, hospitals and other health care organizations, business valuation, damage assessments, mediation proposals, and testimony.
You can depend on Sugarman & Company LLP to deliver consulting services and dependable litigation support to businesses nationwide. Contact Sugarman & Company LLP today to find out what they can do to assist your company.DOWNLOAD CV
Meet The Principal
RANDY SUGARMAN, CPA, CFE, CFF & CIRA
Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 Trustee of various operating businesses from corporations to mid-size to small businesses
Randy Sugarman is the managing partner of Sugarman & Company, LLP, which he founded in 1977. He provides litigation support to both defense and plaintiff legal counsel, and he has prepared insightful financial and operating analyses. Mr. Sugarman also provides expert witness testimony on management and financial issues, and he serves as a financial consultant in workout and bankruptcy situations. He has assumed management responsibilities, implemented cost controls, negotiated with creditors, and supervised the orderly liquidation of assets.
Mr. Sugarman has acted as a State Court Receiver, Federal Bankruptcy Trustee, Assignee for Benefit of Creditors, Federal Bankruptcy Examiner. He has been involved in several large Chapter 11 judgments as a Trustee, and has successfully negotiated reconstructive settlements. In the Real Estate industry, Mr. Sugarman has been appointed as a State Court Receiver by various banks for several large real estate development projects, where his analysis worked towards completion and settlements. Recently, Randy is involved with real estate and agricultural industry and companies.
Prior to the formation of Sugarman & Company LLP, he was associated with the national accounting firms of Ernst & Young and Peat Marwick successors of Main Hurdman (now KPMG Peat Marwick) and Kenneth Leventhal & Company (now Ernst & Young). He obtained his Bachelor of Arts in international relations from Stanford University, and he went on to earn a Masters of Business Administration with an emphasis on accounting at Stanford Business School.
In addition to being a Certified Public Accountant, Mr. Sugarman holds credentials as a Certified Fraud Examiner and a Certified Insolvency and Reorganization Advisor. He is certified by the American Institute of CPAs in Financial Forensics (CFF) and is a member of the Association of Insolvency Accountants, Turnaround Management Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, National Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, California Bankruptcy Forum, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and California Society of Certified Public Accountants.
He is one of the founding members of the Turnaround Management Association, where he served on the Board of Directors. Mr. Sugarman previously served on the Board of Directors of the Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum and on the California Society of Certified Public Accountants’ Committee on Taxation. He has over 50 years experience with the services mentioned above.
- A Certified Public Accountant licensed in the State of California who has been practicing more than fifty years.
- A Certified Fraud Examiner who has worked on some of the largest frauds in Northern California, including Technical Equities, which involved more than $500 million and the Berg Ponzi scheme involving $1.3 billion.
- A Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor who was ultimately appointed the chief restructuring officer and chief operating officer of a sports equipment company, who discovered a $4 million inventory discrepancy, who was responsible for selling the inventory and intellectual property of the company for several million dollars, who had to litigate the collection of the sales proceeds, and who was able to negotiate through mediation a final settlement.
- The Crisis Manager, the Chief Executive Officer, and the Board of Directors of a $300 million New York Stock Exchange Company whose subsidiaries he restructured and sold. One of the subsidiaries was the largest HMO in Washington D.C. In addition, he dealt with a federal grand jury investigation of the predecessor management.
- A federal bankruptcy trustee appointed at the request of four banks for an individual who owed the banks in more than $20 million and who had fled the United States to avoid prosecution for fraud, among other things.
- A federal bankruptcy trustee, appointed by the Office of the United States Trustee in a case involving the disappearance of $125 million of cattle and land.
- Engaged as an expert to review and successfully refute a police report that accused the defendant of embezzling proceeds from a golf course and pro shop.
- Hired as a consultant to an attorney to analyze a case where the defendant was accused of money laundering and related crimes.
- A state court receiver appointed on several occasions to:
- Manage a water-proofing distributor.
- Appointed as an expert for various California courts including Contra Costa for various business disputes.
- Appointed as a referee by the superior court to resolve an accounting dispute.
- Appointed by a federal judge as a special master to resolve a ten year old accounting and related issues dispute.
- Expert for the City of San Francisco and other governmental jurisdictions involving a $3 billion claim against Bank of America and associated entities which was mediated and resolved based upon his analysis of the actual damages.
- As an assignee for a law firm who failed to pay substantial payroll taxes, negotiated a settlement that resolved the claim.
- Expert witness and fraud investigation for divorce cases, including:
- Engaged to analyze cash activity over 5 years, while the party was in prison and the spouse was managing the assets. Case is being heard in Superior Court of the State of California, County of San Mateo.
- Engaged as expert in a divorce case where the defendant failed to pay millions of dollars of federal and state payroll and income taxes.
- Served as a rebuttal expert to a report prepared by a major forensic accounting firm in a claim against the management of a mortgage fund.
- Engaged by a major Washington D.C. law firm representing a large insurance company that was providing liability coverage to a company with a case before the SEC, and reduced by $4 million the bill by a well-known accounting company for its forensic accounting.
Stanford University, Graduate School of Business
Golden Gate University
Bachelor of Arts
The following certifications: MBA, CPA, Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA), Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Proud Member of:
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- The National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- The Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
- The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- The Turnaround Management Association
- The American Bankruptcy Institute
He previously served on the Board of Directors of the Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum and the Tax Committee of the California Society of Certified Public Accountants.
He also served as the public member of the California State Bar Association Advisory Committee.